[FoRK] binary XML

Mark Day mark_s_day at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 06:22:14 PST 2005

> > On Jan 19, 2005, at 1:03 PM, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> > >What % of the XML-RPC like transactions will be run over
> SSL? I would
>
> There's no point to use SSL on a trusted network (within the
> data center) or
> over a (static, to avoid setup work) tunnel across untrusted networks.

All consumer-facing transactions of any importance are likely to be over
SSL.  It's too hard for J. Random User to get VPN tunnels set up right and
there's not enough gain over SSL for doing so.  Many B-to-B transactions are
likely to be over SSL because of the same issue.

Some large enterprises have decided that they can't really trust their
intranet, so their internal applications are gradually moving to SSL.  I
know of both a major NY financial institution and a large storage
manufacturer who are in this camp. Some hosted enterprise applications only
run over SSL -- examples are eRoom and salesforce.com.

I think all of these folks are likely to at least try deploying some kind of
web services, and they'll almost certainly use SSL as the transport.

--Mark