[FoRK] binary XML

Gavin Thomas Nicol gtn at rbii.com
Fri Jan 21 21:45:42 PST 2005

On Jan 20, 2005, at 8:18 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>> That's essentially what many/most of the "binary XML" formats propose.
>> There's an obvious win here when you do the test and compare fairly
>> simple RPC calls... the question then becomes, why even use XML? Why
>
> Interoperability? If your partner is using XML already, a binary
> drop-in
> replacement which is far more infrastructure replacement is an easy
> sell.

This is purely based on network effects... the technology as such
doesn't
buy you anything, and indeed, may cost you.

I have no problem selling XML technology so long as people don't
confuse network effects
and technological applicability: that is where the benefits of XML
really shine. A lot of
real hype doesn't acknowledge that though... the hype makes XML itself
into a magic technology,
which it is not.