[FoRK] Water != Life (other solvents may work too)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jan 31 14:06:00 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 11:19:12AM -0800, Elias Sinderson wrote:

> Yes, well perhaps that explains our fascination with finding watery
> worlds - All science fiction, supposition, possibility and plausibility

Even better -- these are potentially fertile Petri dishes, well within the
reach of crosscontamination through impact ejecta. I would find it entirely
unsurprising if any world with liquid water (once, on surface, now
potentially trapped deep below) would seethe with primitive life. That life
and us having a common origin.

> aside, we have a direct and immediate existence proof that life works on
> watery worlds... Given this fact, one can perhaps understand the
> excitement at, and preoccupation with, finding evidence of water
> elsewhere as it dramatically increases there being (or having been) life
> there as well.

Yes, it's hard to see how prebiotic Mars would have avoided being
contaminated by Earth. Or, vice versa. The Oort and Kuiper clouds must have
prefectly preserved evidence of these early impacts.