[FoRK] portals vs time

Luis Villa luis.villa at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 17:58:56 PST 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:01:42 -0600, Ken Meltsner <meltsner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perfect email would have some sort of personal workflow system -- you
> could send out 'ping' messages to folks that owe you stuff and get
> their responses checked off and filed appropriately.   And this should
> happen without end-user programming, of course.  Oh, and something
> like the Outlook plugin that watches for phrases like "attached" or
> "included" in messages that don't have attachments.

Some folks I know are involved in a still quiet project to tackle this
problem. They blame email itself, so they are trying to build
something 'better'. Given the network effects, I'm fairly convinced
their solution will (1) be better and (2) fail.

> In general, I'm still confused why we've backed off from "smart"
> personal software.  Agenda way back when and Apple Data Detectors have
> recognition capabilities

Hard problems, and with Outlook and Notes capturing basically all of
the market, little reward.

> That, and much smart auto-classification tools.  Gmail tags are OK,

Blah. tags are the weakest part of gmail for anyone with decent mail
load. I'm managing all my mail ATM through gmail, and they are just
frustrating.

> but I hate adding rules each time I start a new list or persistent
> conversation.

Ironically, possibly the most widely used piece of email software
(besides evolution) in the old ximian was a procmail script that did
just this- it recognized a variety of mailing list bits, automatically
created folders for each one, automatically filed things there, etc.
Why that was never just integrated in evo I don't know.

Luis