[FoRK] embedded HTTP servers

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Tue Feb 1 12:46:15 PST 2005

On 1 Feb 2005, at 20:31, Elias Sinderson wrote:
> Sorry, yes, I'm aware that a minimal apache build is pretty small, but
> I'm wondering just how small they come. I'm not aware of any HTTP
> servers on a chip, but I wouldn't be surprised if either a) you could
> get one or b) someone was working really hard on getting one to
> market. I have heard tale of some really small HTTP servers written in
> scripting languages such as PERL or Python, but have no idea what the
> size of the runtime and associated libraries would be.

Tiny script / huge runtime :)

Tell us more about the platform: you'll be needing at least a TCP/IP
stack. Once you have that a simple but useful HTTP server can be as
little as a hundred or so lines of C. It depends what you want it to do
and what resources it has available. Are you expecting lots of
simultaneous requests? Requests that take a while to serve? (i.e.
aren't just a matter of dumping some bytes down a socket but require
some computational effort to put them together).

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net