[FoRK] Hating Scientific Atlanta / Time Warner Cable

Brian Atkins brian at posthuman.com
Tue Feb 1 19:47:01 PST 2005

I feel "lucky" to live in a Comcast area. They now have on tap the
Motorola 6412 dual-tuner HD DVR, which is quite slick. Much better in
almost every way than the Dish network DVRs I've used, and essentially
equivalent to the HD Tivo. At $9.95 a month it seems like a bargain.

BTW, I strongly advise avoiding DirecTV's "HD lite". They have
downrezzed several 1080i HD channels to 1280x1024 w/ low bitrates so
they look like relative crap (so I hear). Comcast at least has a policy
of leaving HD untouched, whereas the satellite companies (I've been a
Dish customer for 8+ years, but dropping them soon it appears) seem to
race each other to see who can degrade the quality of their video the
farthest while "getting away with it". All to squeeze a few more
shopping channels and assorted junk onto their transponders. Oh and by
the way DirecTV just announced they will be switching to MPEG-4 for HD
channels, so the existing HD Tivo is essentially obsolete.

The primary annoyance at this point for me is Sinclair Broadcasting
refuses to let their HD network channels here be carried by Comcast for
free, and Comcast refuses to pay, so I get no HD Fox, UPN, or WB unless
I switch over to the antenna in the attic and watch live.

Oh what annoyances we must deal with... ;-)
--
Brian Atkins
http://www.singinst.org/