[FoRK] Hating Scientific Atlanta / Time Warner Cable

Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) fork at ianbell.com
Wed Feb 2 09:51:57 PST 2005

I'm surprised I'm one of the few on this list who built his own PVR.
Mine runs Windows XP Pro, Snapstream Media's  BeyondTV, uses a Firefly
Remote to manage the box, and a Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250 decoder card.
I also added an IR Blaster so the whole machine controls my Motorola
Digital Cable box.  It's all integrated into a cool little cube:
http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/cases/AOpen_XC-Cube_EZ65/

The big advantage for me over using a TiVo or some other proprietary
system is twofold:

1)	I can use Windows Remote Desktop to set up recordings remotely
2)	I can take shows with me and watch them on my Powerbook

I do not have HDTV but it would actually have been easier to get that
going with my video card, which is your basic FX5600-based card.

-Ian.