[FoRK] Hating Scientific Atlanta / Time Warner Cable

Brian Atkins brian at posthuman.com
Wed Feb 2 11:20:52 PST 2005

Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) wrote:
> I'm surprised I'm one of the few on this list who built his own PVR.

HD is not quite so simple... Using a PCI card you will only be able to
receive broadcast HD signals from your antenna, or if the PCI card has a
QAM decoder you can also get a few in-the-clear HD channels from your
local cable system. But you will not be able to decrypt and receive any
of the other HD channels on the cable system.

This, combined with my dislike for the quality-degrading
digital-analog-digital conversions involved in a typical PC-based PVR
setup are major turnoffs.

My TV and some other new ones have a cable-card slot in the back to plug
in a pc-card-sized card you can rent from the cable co to allow
reception of encrypted channels, but I haven't heard of any PCs with
this yet, and also even with this you still can't access VOD or any
other service requiring 2-way communication.
--
Brian Atkins
http://www.singinst.org/