[FoRK] portals vs time

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Feb 4 03:10:18 PST 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:17:04AM +0000, Aidan Kehoe wrote:

> Hmm, I don???t see that at all. And I have VM with XEmacs, in a screen
> session, for weeks at a time.

Have you tried your setup with ~200 kmails, on a 512 kByte RAM machine?

Have you tried http://www.cons.org/cmucl/hemlock/index.html on CMUCL yet?

>  > For large amounts of mail, remote 24/7/365 machine, screen/mutt rocks
>  > totally. Given that I usually operate on the tail of mbox file these
>  > synching writeouts typically less than one second (if you've been
>  > visiting stuff far upstream it takes longer, of course, unless you've got
>  > a killer storage subsystem and/or gobs of memory).
>
> I would certainly concede that it is probably faster; I like how trivial
> scripting things is in XEmacs, though, and I find VM + XEmacs + local hacks
> more featureful than any other mail environment I have used. (Tried mutt a
> few times, got really turned off by the keybindings. Which is a superficial
> judgement, but there you go.)

The keybindings are completely customizable. Mutt without a really long
.muttrc is a pretty lousy one.

Another thing which made Lisp a pain is that an iBook's keyboard is anything
but space cadet.