[FoRK] cell?

Luis Villa luis.villa at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 09:40:46 PST 2005

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:31:45 -0600, Brian Atkins <brian at posthuman.com> wrote:
> Eugen Leitl wrote:
> >
> > Will we get a cheap Cell box with Linux before the architecture starts
> > looking dated, including SDK? The PS3 will be locked down with DRM from hell,
> > so no dice there (unless Sony ships PS3 Linux kit soonish -- damn unlikely).
> >

> Near the end of this Toms Hardware blurb, it says "industry watchers"
> expect rack servers:
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050207_160318.html

If Linux can be coaxed to exploit the supposed high-bandwidth
processing capabilities of the chip, and the price is right, don't see
why not. There is interesting speculation already about stringing
together lots of mac minis for low-cost computing; if the PS3 has an
ethernet port and linux can be thrown on it you'll see it used instead
of purpose-built blades.

Luis

Luis