[FoRK] more details on Cell emerge

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Fri Feb 11 17:01:51 PST 2005

Joe Barrera wrote on 2/11/2005 7:17 AM:

>>  That is, minimal resources are devoted toward the
>>  execution of single threaded workloads, so that multiple DSP-like
>>  processing elements can be added to perform more parallelizable
>>  multimedia-type computations.
>

> Doesn't sound like it's going to make my ant/java builds go any faster.

Nope. And it's also almost useless for science, since the 64bit IEEE
floating point is 10:1 times slower on top of the reality of bandwidth
limitations, and the 32bit support is ... not fully IEEE754 compliant.
Accuracy? What accuracy? So for 64bit, it's not the bet chip available,
faster chips are available (fab'd but not designed/sold by ... guess who).

It's not for Java, or science either. It's for *gasp* graphics on the
PS3! But that's good, people are willing to pay for graphics, but
science is a losing bet under the Bush inquisition.

nVidia and ATI are the only ones worried, and not very, all this is tech
old enough to not be under patent anymore.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/