[FoRK] Gonzo Suicide

Wilkin, Kurt Kurt.Wilkin at fnzc.co.nz
Mon Feb 21 19:29:03 PST 2005

on Tuesday, 22 February 2005 12:22 p.m. Luis Villa wrote:
> fafblog, as usual, has the final and best word on the subject:
>
>> HUNTER THOMPSON IS NOT DEAD.
>> apocalypse." Good hunting, Doctor Thompson. You'll be missed.
>
> from:

http://fafblog.blogspot.com/2005_02_20_fafblog_archive.html#110897122984
416138

A peculiar world where one of the writers that gave credibility
to there actually being modern *literature* [1] is remembered,
at least in most of the articles I've seen, for having a comic strip
character based on him and having a movie made of his book -
that starred (hushed tone of respect, please) Johnny Depp.

But, fuck, come on, Johnny Depp? Doonesbury?
Not that they don't have a presumably well-deserved current
popularity, but we probably won't remember them next Saturday,
let alone how long it'll take to digest the value in, and of,
everything HST wrote. Maybe even whether or not there is anything
valuable to be found.

Anyway, for your forking reminiscence, the only place I could find
the Nixon obit online :
http://teaching.arts.usyd.edu.au/history/hsty3080/StudentWebSites/Nixon%
20Obits/source9

"He was a swine of a man and a jabbering dupe of a president.
Nixon was so crooked that he needed servants to help him screw
his pants on every morning. Even his funeral was illegal.
He was queer in the deepest way. His body should have been
burned in a trash bin."

Someone good really should write the piss and vinegar obituary that
the Good Doctor deserves.
Or perhaps its something he could only do his self :

"the menace is loose again, the hell's angel, the hundred-carat
headline, running fast and loud on the early morning freeway,
low in the saddle, nobody smiles, jamming crazy through traffic
and ninety miles an hour down the center stripe missing by inches...
like genghis khan on an iron horse, a monster steed with a fiery anus,
flat out through the eye of a beer can and up your daughter's leg
with no quarter asked and none given; show the squares some class
give em a whiff of those kicks they'll never know"

Cheers, Kurt.
[1] Okay, thats a personal, and very uninformed, opinion.
This electronic message together with any attachments is confidential and
intended for the named recipient's use only.  If you are not the intended
recipient (i) do not copy, disclose or use the contents in any way, (ii)
please let us know by return email immediately then destroy the message, and
any hard copies of the message, and any attachments.  The sender of this
message is not responsible for any changes made to this message and/or any
attachments and/or connection linkages to the Internet referred to in this
message after it has been sent.  Unless otherwise stated, any pricing
information given in this message and/or attachments is indicative only, is
subject to change and does not constitute an offer to buy or sell securities
or derivatives at any price quoted.  Any reference to the terms of executed
transactions should be treated as preliminary only and subject to separate
formal written notification.  Where reference is made to research material
and/or research recommendations, the basis of the provision of such research
material and/or recommendations is set out in the relevant disclaimer.