[FoRK] Gonzo Suicide

Luis Villa luis.villa at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 19:37:42 PST 2005

I'm guessing part of the shallowness of the obits is that the folks
writing unexpected/surprise obits on very, very short notice on an
American holiday weekend are fairly junior down the chain, and for
them, Depp and Doonesbury are where they get a lot of their picture of
the man. It's not like he's required reading in most journalism
programs (though Fear and Loathing '72 should be required reading in
every journalism program and most political science programs.)

As an aside, while Depp will not long be remembered, Doonesbury may
well be- it will certainly be long studied. To fairly consistently
comment on American politics, and comment humorously and to a wide
audience, for 30 years!, is fairly unique. Hunter himself couldn't
keep it up for that long- he got virtually incoherent a long time
before the end.

Luis