[FoRK] The rise of the stupid?

zuzu sean.zuzu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 22:01:28 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:51:46 -0600, Steve Nordquist <signa at birch.net> wrote:
> It might be stupidity, it might be that these people can spit out garbage
> code excruciatingly fast and that it's the step above
>
>         U wnat gold?  CN$=gold, $50 u get wicked mount -r.
>
> that worked for them.  You go from maintaining sendmail to scripting
> Exchange modules, and this kind of thing starts to appeal a little.
> Maybe it's Server 2003 now, maybe it's Novell Zenworks that does that.
> Javabeans?  haha.

my research says spreadsheets.  even management goons and assorted
PHBs seem to figure out *basic* MS Excel; the competency curve is
relatively gentle.  and if you squint, spreadsheet programming is a
type of functional programming.  those of you running OSX, check out
aabel at http://www.gigawiz.com/Aabel.html   richard stallman once
made a positive sentiment in this regard at
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-paper.html

"When large numbers of nontechnical workers are using a programmable
editor, they will he tempted constantly to begin programming in the
course of their day-to-day lives. This should contribute greatly to
computer literacy, especially because many of the people thus exposed
will be secretaries taught by society that they are incapable of doing
mathematics, and unable to imagine for a moment that they can learn to
program. But that won't stop them from learning it if they don't know
that it is programming that they are learning! According to Bernard
Greenberg, this is already happening with Multics EMACS."

my crystal ball also says that these people represent the
proto-typical digital cash (digital bearer settlement) users of the
future, as well as people who live and work in something like the
multiverse in 'snow crash'.  MMORPGs (in my day we called them MUDs)
just need some tweaking towards productive economies instead of
totalitarian monsterbation (i'm thinking edward castranova's 'on
virtual economies' here).

peace,
-z