[FoRK] Sales soar for Hunter S. Thompson books

Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) fork at ianbell.com
Wed Feb 23 10:18:39 PST 2005

Predictable.  Also, in keeping with his dying wishes his ashes will be
fired across his estate by a cannon.  Out with a bang, as it were...
his last creative gift to us being the mystery and mythology
surrounding his death.

-Ian.

----

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050223.whunt23/
BNStory/Entertainment/

Sales soar for Hunter S. Thompson books
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 Updated at 12:17 PM EST
Associated Press

Los Angeles —

Sales of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and other favourites by Hunter
S. Thompson have soared since the "gonzo" journalist killed himself
Sunday.

Fear and Loathing was No. 15 on Amazon.com as of Wednesday and
publisher Vintage Books has ordered a "significant" reprinting.

"We usually sell about 60,000-70,000 copies a year of that book and our
next printing will be close to that total," Vintage spokesman Russell
Perreault said.

Other Thompson books selling well include Hell's Angels, Fear and
Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72 and Hey Rube.

Thompson, 67, shot himself in the head Sunday night with a .45-calibre
handgun in the kitchen of his home in the Woody Creek area north of
Aspen, Colo. Friends said he had been in considerable pain over the
past year after breaking a leg and undergoing hip surgery.