[FoRK] Keyes Locks Out Daughter?

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 14:19:11 PST 2005

found this in http://www.pleasant.blogspot.com/ today. Another story of the
United Christian States of Hate in action.
During last year's senate race, Keyes referred to gays and lesbians as
"hedonistic sinners" and talked hypothetically about his own family.
"If my own daughter were a homosexual, or a lesbian, I would love my
daughter, but I would tell my daughter that she was in sin," Keyes
said in August. [...] "Before I deny god, before I deny Christ, before
I deny my faith, I would die. Surely, then you would understand that I
consider the eternal salvation of my children to be the real aim of my
parenting, not how they feel today," said Keyes. [...]

At a gay rights rally in Annapolis, Md., [daughter] Maya Keyes said
she is coming out as a lesbian in response to escalating tensions with
her parents, including her arch-conservative father, whom she worked
for in last year's Illinois senate race. Keyes said she also wanted to
highlight the struggle of gays in the closet, including a gay friend
who died last week after months on the street. [...] Maya told the
Washington Post Monday her parents kicked her out of the house and
will not pay her college tuition.

[Photograph of Maya and a friend from Maya's blog at
http://i.xanga.com/Xmisled0youthX/dirtyqueers.JPG ]