[FoRK] French hit back against the Google invasion

Ken Meltsner meltsner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 18:29:51 PST 2005

There's also the "local content" approach -- Second City TV received a
subsidy from the Canadian government for adding the Mackenzie brothers
and back bacon to the show.

Of course, cultural hegemony has its downside.  In Australia, my
distant cousin insisted on discussing The Simpsons with me.  I was
polite enough not to bring up Paul Hogan.

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:15:29 +1100, James Walker
<james.walker at stockland.com.au> wrote:
[...]
> The National Library of Ireland has no plans to digitalise its collection of Irish newspapers. So if you want to compare ancient copies of this newspaper with its French counterparts, you'll have to trundle into Kildare Street, Dublin 2 to consult the microfilm archives. The "newsplan" heading on www.nli.ie provides a list of what's there.

Would microfilm have enough resolution to be digitized effectively?
If so, you'd think that the NLI would be most of the way there if the
archives are relatively complete.   It's got to be easier to digitize
microfilm than the original newspapers.

[Not involved with digitization since I worked at CTC -- we had a
project to digitize a number
of books for the Copper Development Association.]

Ken