[FoRK] Alternatives to XML config files... a hack

rst at ai.mit.edu rst at ai.mit.edu
Fri Feb 25 09:58:19 PST 2005

Ken Meltsner writes:
 > Interesting trick.  The replaceable scanner idea's not new, but the
 > last one I saw replaced the SAX parser:
 >
 > http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/excerpt/java_xslt_ch5/?page=6

But if you do that, I think you lose the DTD validator.  I kinda like
it when the machine tells me where the typos are.  (FWIW, my code
actually works by hooking into a SAX-like interface within Xerces
called XNI).

On the other hand, I'm tied to Xerces, which... isn't exactly svelte.

 > Now, you need to write a version that reads Windows-style .ini files...

No, I don't.  I don't use Windows.

But one use for my code might actually be as a model for someone else
who's trying to play with alternate XML syntaxes for other reasons --
wanting to try out one of the proposed "binary XML" syntaxes that's
supposed to be floating around, perhaps...

rst