[FoRK] Inside the future: interview w/ BT futurist-in-residence Ian Pearson

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Fri Feb 25 11:55:39 PST 2005

On 25 Feb 2005, at 19:53, Kelley wrote:
> I'm _so_ glad someone else is saying this. It's one of the things I
> dislike most about the business I'm in. There's a tendency to call
> everything information as if , as you say, "acquiring information" or
> "access to information" is the equivalent of education (or even
> training!).
>
> If that were the case, things would be a lot different, eh?

I started getting annoyed about this when successful participants in
general knowledge based quizzes started being called 'geniuses' by the
popular press. Quite often what they exhibited was a kind of
anti-genius in which, in spite of having many facts at their disposal,
they didn't have the toolkit to do anything creative with them.

I quite like to imagine that Google levels the playing field on access
to facts and highlights the differences between knowing the facts and
being able to do something interesting with them but it doesn't seem to
work out like that.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net