[FoRK] [cml/ccml-discuss] Getting involved with CML (fwd from pm286@cam.ac.uk)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Feb 26 08:32:49 PST 2005

----- Forwarded message from Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> -----

From: Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:28:11 +0000
To: <cml-discuss at lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [cml/ccml-discuss] Getting involved with CML

Until recently the public discussion on CML has been fairly low and
contributions have come from a core of 5-10 groups or individuals, many of
whom have met IRL. With the increasing acceptance and deployment of CML,
the release of JUMBO4.6 (the first version whose architecture I have
confidence in :-) and a number of projects which have adopted CML, we want
to widen the discussion and involvement of the community. This mail sets
out some history, suggests ground rules, thanks current contributors and
invites and welcomes new ones.

In my own mind, CML started in about 1980 when I was writing software to
analyze crystal structures in the Cambridge database.  With Sam Motherwell
and Jim Raftery we created a system (GEOSTAT) which read numbers of
database entries, carried out 2-and 3-D substructure search, correlated
fragments and mapped them, calculated geometrical parameters, carried out
statics and rendered the results. There was no formal data structure or
externalisation and it is clear that these were major impediments. As an
example the system would only read data in then database format and would
share it through COMMON blocks. This meant there was no way that it could
be used to analyse (say) the structure of ligands in PDB. It is an imminent
hope that, 25 years after, we can represent the same functionality in a CML
system! We're nearly there...

1980s technology could not support proper software development and we saw
the explosion of "file formats" which currently bedevil us - confusing
storage, data structures, formalisation of semantics and generally locking
chemistry into a visual rather than semantic subject. However other
disciplines began to adopt newer ways and I have been particularly
influenced by: libraries (e.g. NAG), packages (e.g. SPSS), workflows (AVS)
and of course OO-programming.

Henry and I met in the early 1990's - I can't remember exactly how we made
contact but he visited Glaxo (where I then was) - probably in ca 1992. Over
that period we have evolved a symbiotic relationship and meet frequently
IRL. I tend to take the initial lead in code development and Henry in areas
of web deployment but everything ends up as a joint work, especially the
concept "CML". Most of the JUMBO system is written by me, at least in first
instance, but increasing numbers of people (listed in the distrib) are
starting to contribute.

In our experience most Open projects benefit from a benign dictatorship,
based largely on Eric Raymond's principles - contribution is fundamental.
CML is an architecture and architectures are difficult to create. They
usually require continual refactoring and that is why JUMBO4.6 is called a
"major release". The architecture also embodies a vision and this has
changed over the years from a toolkit to visualiser and back to a semantic
toolkit. Among the forces driving this have been the availability of
technology. For JUMBO1 I had to create a complete DOM, tree renderer and
editor, molecular visualiser, SGML Parser, chemical perception engine and
more, all in AWT 1.02 (i.e with little library help). With the availability
of quality tools (both generic and molecular) JUMBO has now converged to a
toolkit. Because of the contributions from the Open community and the slow
but increasing availability of CML-aware commercial tools many components
can be removed from JUMBO. It may sound Zen-like but I feel extremely happy
when I am able to delete a functionality from Jumbo.

Therefore the core of CML is currently Henry and me - not a committee, not
a voting system and not a standards body. Maybe at some stage CML will
become a formal standard somewhere (this has been requested) but it would
be inappropriate at this stage. Standards are to enforce conformance or to
resolve questions in law courts. However we do take conformance very
seriously and are currently devising a de facto approach towards this.
While it will not be an ISO/OASIS/IUPAC standard, it will be available to
support the chemical community. For example we work very closely with IUPAC
on XML.

CML is also not universal. It is not intended to be the only way of doing
chemistry in XML. For example the analytical community has developed AniML
which represents a more formal and complete way of representing data and
spectra. We have frequent interaction with AniML and design CML so that it
will provide "hooks" into it where required. The same is true of ThermoML.

CML is mainly driven by existing practice rather than trying to change the
conceptualisation of chemistry. In a few cases (e.g. CMLReact/CMLSnap) we
think there is an opportunity for representing chemistry in a slightly
different way but in general there are few surprises, just formalisation.
However chemistry has so much implicit semantics that this formalisation is
very challenging.

In general, therefore, CML is driven by current examples. We have developed
CMLReact by asking "can we represent these reactions in CML?" We'd be very
grateful for contributions of examples - these might well stress the
system. We are doing the same with CMLComp.

To summarise this and other mails we invite collaborations and
contributions - all are formally credited. Suggested areas are
        * bugfixing
        * examples
        * documentation and tutorials
        * wrappers
        * conversion kits to/from other XML and legacy systems
        * databases
        * interfaces and adapters

and perhaps in conjunction with other projects
        * editing tools
        * renderers

We are happy to work with anyone (Open, non-Open, non-commercial,
commercial, etc.). The contributions of the Open community are publicly
visible on many lists. We particularly want to acknowledge the support over
several years of Dan Zaharevitz at the National Cancer Institute for parts
of JUMBO. We are pleased to see commercial products which include CML but
make it clear that we have not been involved in these and offer no
assertion that they are conformant. (If a product makes inappropriate
claims or representations we shall contact its developers) We do not
normally approach commercial companies about incorporating CML but are
happy to be approached by them if they want to explore CML.

P.

Peter Murray-Rust
Unilever Centre for Molecular Informatics
Chemistry Department, Cambridge University
Lensfield Road, CAMBRIDGE, CB2 1EW, UK
Tel: +44-1223-763069

----- End forwarded message -----