[FoRK] The rise of the stupid?

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Sun Feb 27 13:07:27 PST 2005

On 27 Feb 2005, at 20:47, zuzu wrote:
> i'm curious to know what software you write where a compiler such as
> gcc just isn't good enough that you have to try out-wit it with arcane
> syntax.  i admit there's plenty i don't confront w/r/t IO and
> databases as well.

Well it depends what you mean by 'arcane syntax'. I thought you were
suggesting (previously) that any use of C constituted 'arcane
syntax'...

Most recently the only time I've needed to 'outwit' the compiler was
writing an off-screen bitmap graphics library (somewhat like GD). For
pixel level manipulations including the alpha compositing and
anti-aliasing I found that I could get huge performance gains by hand
optimising things like the inner loop of the horizontal line drawing
code. Admittedly that kind of thing is rare. I'm pretty sure though
that our original point of entry here was your assertion that using C
integer arithmetic to decompose a time in ms into minutes and seconds
was a premature or unwise optimisation :)

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net