[FoRK] The rise of the stupid?

Ken Meltsner meltsner at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 13:14:20 PST 2005

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:23:14 +0000, Andy Armstrong <andy at hexten.net> wrote:
[...]
> We already have this in the UK together with a flawed system of metrics
> for school performance which make life extremely hard for schools in
> difficult areas. You can find the reports on schools here:
>
> <http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/reports/>

Nice to see that America is once again playing catch up in education.
Probably due to envy of the British "public" school system due to too
many movies and books romanticizing the joys of upper-class private
education, and too many American conservatives with blatant envy of
inherited titles.

I've suspected for a long time that local school boards are a mixed
blessings -- it makes it hard to screw up an entire state's schools at
the same time, although it also makes it impossible to improve them
all as well.

Ken