[FoRK] Microsoft Singularity

Ken Meltsner meltsner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 16:18:49 PST 2005

Well, that's an outcome that Vinge didn't think of.

He did make allusions to ancient UNIX software buried within
generations of emulation and newer code -- that for some odd reason,
all dates were calculated in reference to the start of 1970.

Ken Meltsner

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:41:31 -0800, Bill Humphries <bill at whump.com> wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2005, at 12:35 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
>
> > What a TOTALLY HORRIFYING phrase / concept / meme / thought.
> > Nonetheless, completely off the mark descriptively.  The research is
> > interesting, even if the term is completely inappropriate.  (Aside:
> > is there any way we can keep the Redmond fuckers from co-opting all
> > the useful, interesting, etc. terms?)
>
> Now we have an answer to the Fermi Pardox. [1]
>
> A civilization undergoes a rapid singularity, then promptly blue
> screens.
>
> [1] http://zebu.uoregon.edu/~js/cosmo/lectures/lec28.html
>
> -- whump

Absolute power corrupts absolutely, but model train sets do a pretty
good job as well

-- 2/28/05, in a odd dream