[FoRK] Google can't find an anti-google story? hmm

Kelley kelley at inkworkswell.com
Wed Mar 9 11:50:09 PST 2005

At 02:31 PM 3/9/2005, Joe Barrera wrote:
>Rohit Khare wrote:
>
>>  Not much of a tea leaf to read in to, but Adam asked for the source
>>  on a story, and I found I couldn't locate it on Google:
>
>Ah, but check out the second hit for "largest private residence in
>manhattan"...
>
>http://www.felixsalmon.com/000350.php
>
>If it's been disappeared, it may have more to do with Wolff than Page & Brin.
>
>- Joe :-)

Maybe Google just banned itself:

Google Bans Own Pages for 'Cloaking'

Giving itself a taste of its own medicine, Google is banning some of its
own pages for inadvertently using a forbidden search engine optimization
tactic. After being hounded by the search engine optimization community for
alleged "cloaking," Google investigated the claims, finding that indeed
some of its pages were cloaked, according to SearchEngineWatch.
Technically, there are some approved uses of cloaking, but Google's
reaction seems more geared to quieting the ruckus that developed on
search-oriented bulletin boards. SearchEngineLowdown notes that neither of
the two apparent possible scenarios - that Google did it purposefully, or
that Google's own detection mechanisms failed to note the cloaking on its
own site - do not reflect well on the firm.

http://www.marketingvox.com/archives/2005/03/09/google_bans_own_pages_for_cloaking/

When you need security and privacy training, Ink Works.
http://www.inkworkswell.com
mailto:kelley at inkworkswell.com