[FoRK] Google can't find an anti-google story? hmm

Mike Masnick mike at techdirt.com
Wed Mar 9 12:28:35 PST 2005

At 11:19 AM 3/9/2005 -0800, you wrote:
>Not much of a tea leaf to read in to, but Adam asked for the source on
>a story, and I found I couldn't locate it on Google:
>
>wolff gmsv
>wolff good morning silicon valley
>767 google good morning silicon valley
>
>... none of these queries came close,

Er.  GMSV published that story yesterday.  It's been on the web elsewhere
for quite some time.  I'd bet that the lack of a Google find is explained
in the fact that Google's crawler isn't *that* fast (yet).  The problem was
searching only on GMSV, rather than the details in the story.

At 01:49 PM 3/9/2005 -0600, Ken Meltsner wrote:
>Rumors/statements were that Google purged its (at the time, now ex-)
>employee's blog from its system as well -- he had published details
>about Google compensation and business plans.  Nothing incredibly
>secret as it was taken from the new employee briefing.
>
>What was odd was that previously they had stated that they could not
>remove individual pages from their cache/index.

Ditto on this story.  Again, it was a case where the accusations came very
soon after the data was posted, and before Google had a chance to crawl it.

I'm all for good Google conspiracy theories, but these don't hold much water...

Mike