[FoRK] GooNews, personalized & keyword-fed (!)

Rohit Khare khare at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Mar 10 13:44:59 PST 2005

Wow...
http://news.google.com/news?ned=:
ePkh8BM9EyLSDiFBLX7vnNTMvNQihYDUouzMvGIhfi1e15y
czOT8khIF58ySSiF2oDEgy0AMqK0QlwEAohMVOA

 From GMSV, which even calls it the "Daily Me"
> News just the way you (and our algorithm) want it: Newshounds will get
> a treat the next time they click over to Google News. The site has
> added a customization feature that lets you move elements around,
> change headline displays and even set up a new channel based on key
> words. Normally, I'm wary of personalized news. Being an editor, I'm
> naturally disposed to see the values of editing and the danger of an
> intellectually compartmentalized and self-reinforcing Daily Me model.
> And as much as I love Google News, it's still assembled by a machine.
> But that being the case, there's no reason why readers shouldn't be
> able to impose a bit of their own order on it.

See also http://searchenginewatch.com/searchday/article.php/3488881
New Customization, Personalization Features at Google News

  By  Chris Sherman, Associate Editor
March 10, 2005

Google has enhanced its news service with a number of new features that
make it easy to modify your own version of the Google News page by
adding or deleting sources, and to share the customized page with
others.

  The Google News home page is now customizable, allowing you to add or
delete main news categories (such as business, sports and so on), as
well as increasing or decreasing the number of headlines within a
section. You can also add sections from any of the 22 country-specific
versions of Google News to your own page.

Google has also introduced a feature that lets you create your own
section on any topic that interests you. Simply define the section
using keywords for a topic that interests you, and a new section is
added to your version of the Google News home page.

  As with the sections on the standard Google News page, clicking on the
link to a new section will open up a separate section page with many
more links to news stories related to that topic.

You can now change the layout of the Google News page, either using the
controls found in a new light blue box in the upper right corner of the
page, or with a javascript widget that lets you drag and drop sections
into new locations. Don't like the result? You can always restore the
default standard Google news page, or view the text-only version of the
standard page by clicking links for those pages.

All customization information is stored in a cookie, so there's no need
to register or log in to use the new features.

  Another new feature allows you to share your customized news page with
others. Each customized news page has its own unique URL. Simply send
this URL to others, and they can use the page you've created as their
own personalized Google News page, or use it as a basis to make their
own modifications.

  You can also use this URL to view your own customized page on a
computer other than the one where the cookie containing your settings
is stored.

The new features are very cool, and make Google News a much more useful
service. However, you still need to visit Google News using your web
browser; there's no RSS option to allow you to view your customized
page in a news aggregator. Google has no plans to add an RSS option
either, according to Google product manager Marissa Mayer