[FoRK] [IP] more on Rejected Harvard applicants say school's reaction to Web page "hack" excessive (fwd from dave@farber.net)

Kelley kelley at inkworkswell.com
Fri Mar 11 10:42:19 PST 2005

At 01:34 PM 3/11/2005, rst at ai.mit.edu wrote:
>Kelley writes:
>  > >In the 1960s the term "hacking" meant smart people developing useful and
>  > >innovative computer software.  In the 1990s the term meant smart evil
> people
>  > >developing and running programs to break into computer systems and gain
>  > >shell access to those systems.  Thanks to Harvard Business school the
> term
>  > >now means "people of average IQ poking around curiously by editing
> URLs on
>  > >public servers and seeing what comes back in the form of directory
> listings,
>  > >etc."
>  >
>  > I'd say that it started way before Harvard called these people hackers.
>  > During the dot.bomb boom ...
>
>Before that, I think, with the release of the movie "War Games".
>
>rst

Yeah, I guess I should have clarified, since the whole Mitnick is an evil
hacker thing was going on way before the dot.bomb boom. Maybe I should dig
out my hacker history trivia files, "hackers" on the screen, and hold an
online version for FoRK.

What should we have for prizes?

.k.

--
Ink Works: Security awareness and privacy training
http://www.inkworkswell.com
E-mail: mailto:kelley at inkworkswell.com