[FoRK] Congrats to the '04 ACM Dissertation awardees!

Rohit Khare khare at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Mar 11 10:43:41 PST 2005

Very strong work they honored this year. From the looks of it, Barak's
is a classic victory of a new approach that unlocked lots of
consequential results, even if I can't immediately grasp all of its
practical implications. I'm sure that I have friends in crypto who can
do a better job of popularizing his work further. Also, it's pretty
impressive that out of the only two dissertations even the largest CS
departments are limited to nominating, both of MIT's were honored. One
of which already won the department's best dissertation award, in an
area I'm quite intrigued by, markets for networks. I'll have to read it
a lot more carefully before I speculate on its contributions. --Rohit

2004 winner (Springer will publish and $5K)
Boaz Barak
For his dissertation, Non-Black-Box Techniques in Cryptography,
nominated by the Weizmann Institute of Science.

Honorable Mentions
Ramesh Johari
For his dissertation, Efficiency Loss in Market Mechanisms for Resource
Allocation, nominated by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Emmett Witchel
For his dissertation, Mondriaan Memory Protection, nominated by the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Official announcement: