[FoRK] why women leave IT

Strata R. Chalup strata at virtual.net
Fri Mar 11 12:08:33 PST 2005

Interesting idea, but I think it's only the tip of the iceberg.  .

The primary reasons I hear first-person are (not necessarily in order, mostly in
combination):
	a) IT in most companies are treated even more like crap than usual (eg, system
janitor), partly in some kind of weird payback mentality for IT being so golden
during the bubble
	b) salaries in IT have dropped from their bubble highs, and the amount of
uncompensated time has vastly increased-- on call, overtime, etc
	c) there's rarely any feeling of 'making a difference' in IT, just dealing with
the same old stuff day in and day out
	d) many IT folks are isolated even if working for the same company, scattered
into different departments and with no sense of being part of a team
	e) really, really, *really* tired of the hyper-competitive pushiness and
general 'advancement by asshole quotient' culture of most tech companies
	f) screw this, I'm going to go into IT consulting and get paid real money to
take this kind of crap
	g) screw this, I'm going into software engineering / web development / database
development / technical project or product management

I've been doing this for over 20 years, and have very rarely been out of work
when I didn't want some time off.  And I still get very very tired of having to
push back hard against every new-kid engineer on the block who wants to earn
status points by slamming the IT people for what turns out to be his or her own
damn fault.

One remedy is switching sides-- as I mentioned in items f and g, and the quoted
article somewhat glosses over in the final paragraphs, many women are leaving IT
to become programmers, because it pays better and you get more respect.  IT is a
cost center, engineering is a revenue generator.  Never mind that IT is merely
scapegoated for the cost of engineering's revenue, since it's running up the big
bills to respond to the insistent demands of the engineers.  Nope, nope, those
lazy IT bastards are pure overhead... I wonder how we can get rid of them.. they
just sit there in front of their terminals all day (reading security bulletins,
upgrading stuff before it fails, fixing bugs that never make it into the
helpdesk system because the engineers consistently refuse to use that and just
send mail directly, etc).

cheers,
SRC