[FoRK] Re: One more reason why I wouldn't live in the South: Grandparents turn in high school student for zombie story

Ken Meltsner meltsner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 12:50:22 PST 2005

Follow-up/more detailed version of the zombie high school short story
terrorist news:

Not quite as scary as the earlier, shorter report, but still.  And I
love the way the item ends.

Ken

http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=3046416&nav=EQloXDvS
CLARK COUNTY
Details Of "Story" Written By Teen Charged With Terroristic
Threatening Read In Court
	Email to a Friend 		Printer Friendly Version

A George Rogers Clark High School junior who's become the focus of
worldwide attention was in court Tuesday to face charges that he
threatened fellow students and made terroristic threats.

William Poole, 18, was arrested February 22. In a jailhouse interview
with LEX 18 News shortly after his arrest, Poole said that the
writings that got him arrested are being taken out of context.
Investigators say they discovered materials at Poole's home that
outline possible acts of violence aimed at students, teachers, and
police.

In court Tuesday, police released some of Poole's writings, and they
contradict some of what he told LEX 18 in his interview. Poole says he
wrote the short story for English class. Not so, according to police.
They say his teachers deny knowing about such writings, and add if
they did, the teachers would have reported their concerns about the
contents to school officials.

Some of the details Poole wrote about included wanting to assemble a
group of boys he called "True Soldiers and "No Limit Soldiers" to take
over a high school.

Police say they've interviewed seven George Rogers Clark High School
students who say Poole tried to recruit them into his group.

Investigators add that Poole wrote about bringing weapons and tools
into a school. And, perhaps most disturbing, they say Poole wrote down
what he called "Dates of Death", which happened to be February 19 and
20 of 2005 - dates mentioned that were just two days before police
arrested Poole.

Though investigators say Poole never mentioned George Rogers Clark
High School by name, they say Poole did mention taking over a high
school in a place he called "Zone Two", which police believe was a
high school in Clark County.

George Rogers Clark High School is the only public high school in Clark County.

"My story is based on fiction," Poole told LEX 18. "It's a fake story.
I made it up. I've been working on one of my short stories, (and) the
short story they found was about zombies. Yes, it did say a high
school. It was about a high school over ran by zombies."

Even so, police say the nature of the story makes it a felony.
"Anytime you make any threat or possess matter involving a school or
function it's a felony in the state of Kentucky," said Winchester
Police detective Steven Caudill.

Poole disputes that he was threatening anyone.

"It didn't mention nobody who lives in Clark County, didn't mention
(George Rogers Clark High School), didn't mention no principal or
cops, nothing," said Poole. "Half the people at high school know me.
They know I'm not that stupid, that crazy."

Poole's own grandmother is the one who found the journal, and turned
it over to police. LEX 18 talked to her at Poole's court appearance
Tuesday, and she said she has no regrets of turning in her grandson.
She believes he needs pyschiatric help - not jail time.

For now, the writings have been sealed by a judge, which means no one
from the public or media can view the journal.

Poole faces a second-degree felony terrorist threatening charge. He
remains jailed at the Clark County Detention Center on a five thousand
dollar bond.

Police and prosecutors have been bombarded with e-mails and phone
calls from people all over the world about the arrest of Poole. Here
at LEX 18, we've received much of the same response. Most people have
defended Poole's right to free speech.