[FoRK] One more reason why I wouldn't live in the South: Grandparents turn in high school student for zombie story

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Fri Mar 11 14:50:41 PST 2005

> I'm smug because I don't live in the South, where it appears nearly
> everyone in the "judicial" system is about as close to brain-dead as
> is possible without doctors lining up to harvest organs, but that's
> not to say it couldn't happen here.

Way back when I was ~13, I got into some outrageously overblown
"trouble" on similar but even flimsier grounds, and I didn't live in the
South.  Fortunately, this was long before the current "terrorists among
us" fad.

We had some type of creative writing assignment, and one of the kids in
my class used some of his classmates as characters in a story about an
alien invasion or some such that boys of that age are wont to write.  In
this story, which I never did see, I apparently was cast as the person
who "blew up" the fictional critters in graphic detail.  The kid's
parents read this and somehow construed that I was actually some type of
mad bomber in real-life, and called the school and the authorities.

To make a long story short, it escalated into a bizarre Kafkaesque
situation where I was being interrogated in all seriousness by the
"authorities" about my criminal role in their nutty group delusion
constructed from another kid's creative writing assignment that I had no
part in.  It blew over when they could find no evidence of the
conspiracy in my personal effects or anywhere else after some
investigation and lots of threats.  It was so surreal that it didn't
really bother me at the time, adopting a "yeah, whatever guys" attitude.

I'd forgotten about that little incident until I read this story.  I
guess I'm lucky that this happened long before 9/11/2001.  I might be
living in Guantamo today...

j. andrew rogers