[FoRK] why women leave IT

Cleopatra Von Ludwig rockfish at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 12:23:56 PST 2005

Interesting perspective, Strata... it wouldn't have even occurred to
me that female IT professionals would see the engineering side as an
escape from their job woes. In fact, when I read the article (and your
bulleted reasons, up until g), I thought it described female
developers just as well as female IT support. The hyper-competitive
assholes, the inability to take any time off (for breeding or
what-not) without losing career momentum, the domestic obligations
that inhibit after-hours training or working... that's the life of the
programmer as well (I'm obviously a programmer). So I'm not sure that
I would distinguish between the two as much as you have; that being
said, I've met far fewer women in IT than in development, and I'm not
sure if I can explain why that is any better than anyone else.

Back to the original article... while it didn't draw any conclusions
or offer any suggestions about the plight of women in IT (or other
technical fields) who want to breed, stay home with their kids for a
few months/years, then get back into the working world, I think this
is a dangerous issue to touch. IMHO, having kids is a choice, just
like taking 2 years off to go galavanting around the world is a
choice. If women can't work out with the fathers of their children
what the balance of domestic obligations will be, then they pay the
price for it. Ironically, most women will choose to stay home with
kids for financial reasons -- their male counterparts make more money,
so it makes sense for the women, rather than the men, to stay home.
Why do men make more money? Well, gee, could it have something to do
with the fact that they're able to spend more time in after-hours
training or working late, because of their reduced domestic
responsibility? Kind of a vicious circle, isn't it? I've obviously
oversimplified the problem to make a point, but I'm just sayin', is
all.

I have no solutions. I offer only problems. :-)

-cleo