[FoRK] U.S. Undocumented Immigrant Numbers Surge

Damien Morton fork at bitfurnace.com
Mon Mar 21 17:14:12 PST 2005

Adam L Beberg wrote:
> Lucas Gonze wrote on 3/21/2005 1:55 PM:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Adam L Beberg wrote:
>>
>> Who's them?  Aren't you them just as much as they are?
>>
>> You're not indigenous, right?
>
> But the difference is, my ancestors did it legally via Ellis Island. I'm
> pro-immigration, but against open borders. There is a HUGE difference.
> Let anyone with a degree or other mad skillz in I say. But keep the 3rd
> world workers, and more importantly those crappy jobs, pollution, and
> crime, elsewhere.

Umm, ignoring for a moment your definition if "indigenous" as anyone who
can trace a line back to any given white settler in the last few hundred
years.

Half the great industrialists of the last century had neither degree nor
  measurable "mad skillz", and were as likely as not immigrants or the
children thereof.

What, exactly, is the difference between legal and illegal economic
immigration, apart from the legal angle?

Economic osmosis is a powerfull and easily understandable force. A force
of nature, you might say.