[FoRK] U.S. Undocumented Immigrant Numbers Surge

Justin Mason jm at jmason.org
Mon Mar 21 18:03:46 PST 2005

Stephen D. Williams writes:
> The only real reason to restrict immigration is to avoid damaging
> dilution of the immigree society.  Choosing the filter methods may be
> fraught with various biases, but trying to absorb a billion people
> suddenly isn't going to work either.
>
> You would think that when there are enough people who want to live in
> the US that they would clean up their own locality to duplicate the US
> rather than just trying to inherit from our past.  Mexico is the obvious
> example.  Laws with teeth, systematic purging of corruption, sane
> infrastructure.  Is it really that difficult?  There are billions
> waiting to swoop in to build suburbia anywhere that a critical baseline
> exists.

Who's supposed to do the 'laws with teeth, systematic purging of
corruption, sane infrastructure' part?

  - The (corrupt) government and its bureaucracy, who are all doing
    quite nicely thank you, without these things interfering with
    their kickback cashflow?  or:

  - The citizens, in an armed revolution or something?

It's quite a big deal removing corruption from a society. bear in mind
it's often not just govt, but the entire social system -- I talked to
people in Nepal who wouldn't deal with banks, for example, due to the
corruption in *that* system.

- --j.