[FoRK] U.S. Undocumented Immigrant Numbers Surge

Justin Mason jm at jmason.org
Mon Mar 21 20:46:04 PST 2005

Stephen D. Williams writes:
> The US has had corruption in various governments and business at various
> times.  Sooner or later, we cleaned house.  It IS possible with the
> right attitude, mythology, and belief in the "right thing" by the
> population.

Yes -- but what if corruption was in *all* of [government, business,
banking, the legal system, civil society]?   in other words if corruption
is endemic, it's a much harder thing to root out.

Even if there's a few "do-gooders" around who want to see an end to it,
they either

  (a) may not care what happens to *your* section of society because they
  just want corruption cleared up as it pertains to *their* section, or

  (b) are just not powerful enough to make a difference, because everyone
  else is too busy to care about such a minor thing (minor compared to
  making a living, that is).

- --j.