[FoRK] U.S. Undocumented Immigrant Numbers Surge

Lucas Gonze lgonze at panix.com
Mon Mar 21 23:07:54 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Gordon Mohr wrote:

> Mark Day wrote:
>>> Now, you cant get rid of rent control and tennant rights laws once you put
>>> them in place; its too big a change, and too many vested interests.
>>
>> As a general principle, this is an overstatement.  I personally lived
>> through the end of rent control in Massachusetts, and some 10 years later
>> it
>> seems unlikely to return.
>
> How was this managed? City by city? Court cases? State law?

The basis was the traditional antagonism between the rest of the state and
Cambridge.  Cambridge was the only place in the state with rent control.
After years of trying to beat rent control in Cambridge via city politics
there, the landlords association took it to the state house, where people
in the rest of the state who didn't enjoy the same benefit and had
personal dislike towards Cambridge got to vote on its fate.

> On this issue, I agree with Paul Krugman: "That great sacred cow --
> Rent Control -- is a textbook case of Economic stupidity." [*]
>
> I'd love to see a California state law making it illegal for cities
> to engage in such price-fixing.

As bad as rent control is, virtually all landlords with rent controlled
properties bought them at reduced prices.  They don't lose any money on
the deal, and they stand to gain a windfall if they can get rid of rent
control.

Typically grubby situation for our species.

- Lucas