[FoRK] U.S. Undocumented Immigrant Numbers Surge

Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) fork at ianbell.com
Tue Mar 22 00:32:59 PST 2005

On 21-Mar-05, at 4:38 PM, Adam L Beberg wrote:

> and more importantly those crappy jobs, pollution, and crime,
> elsewhere.

Not so sure there's much correlation between pollution and crime and
illegal aliens.  Bernie Ebbers committed an epic series of crimes
costing ordinary people billions of dollars and he was a legal
immigrant.  All of the 9/11 terrorists were legally resident in the
U.S.  And the vast majority of pollution in the US comes not from our
cars and lawnmowers (most illegal aliens can't afford these
immediately) but from factories, power plants, etc.  -- legal corporate
entities.

Illegal aliens are the grist that keeps the wheels of your economic
system turning.  They do yard work, they harvest and process the food
you eat, help out with renovations, wash and park your cars, and
(apparently) work at Wal-Mart and Burger King.  Because they do this
the cost of those products and services is substantially cheaper than
they would be if  you were to hire a legal resident and pay a fair
wage.  I would put forward that we have all benefited far more greatly
from the toils of illegal aliens than we would care to admit -- that
goes for Canada and Europe as well as the USofA.

These aliens do burden the school system and municipal services to some
degree, but live largely outside the umbrella of health care and of
course social security, etc.  I doubt they significantly impact crime
or pollution figures.  I suspect they do perform jobs (such as
meat-processing) that a huge majority of us just plain would not do
because they can't afford to be choosy.  The crappy jobs will always be
there.  I doubt you will ever volunteer to do them.

So it's hypocritical to (on one hand) declare that they should be
treated as a pestilence and (on the other) support a system that only
rewards companies that will keep prices low -- at any cost.  That's my
problem with the Bushites.

Besides which, Bush pretty much opened the floodgates when he tarted up
his "Amnesty" platform in a vague attempt to win the Latino vote in the
last election.

-Ian.