[FoRK] U.S. Undocumented Immigrant Numbers Surge

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Tue Mar 22 01:33:36 PST 2005

Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) wrote on 3/22/2005 12:32 AM:

> On 21-Mar-05, at 4:38 PM, Adam L Beberg wrote:
>
>> and more importantly those crappy jobs, pollution, and crime, elsewhere.
>

> Not so sure there's much correlation between pollution and crime and
> illegal aliens.

Nope, you just misunderstood.

China can make cheap crap because they dont have environmental laws, and
can thus dump the side effects of electronic production into the river,
pay their workers almost nothing, and noone complains when someone loses
a couple fingers. Better they do all that away from here, then let
companies do all that here.

> Illegal aliens are the grist that keeps the wheels of your economic
> system turning.  They do yard work, they harvest and process the food
> you eat, help out with renovations, wash and park your cars, and
> (apparently) work at Wal-Mart and Burger King.  Because they do this the
> cost of those products and services is substantially cheaper than they
> would be if  you were to hire a legal resident and pay a fair wage.  I
> would put forward that we have all benefited far more greatly from the
> toils of illegal aliens than we would care to admit -- that goes for
> Canada and Europe as well as the USofA.

Yes yes, Bob loses his job on Main St., but it's OK because ChinaMart
will sell him a t-shirt for $2 becasue they can employ illegals to
restock at night.

Race to the bottom is not a good thing you know.

> Besides which, Bush pretty much opened the floodgates when he tarted up
> his "Amnesty" platform in a vague attempt to win the Latino vote in the
> last election.

Corps want more illegals, means they can replace those expensive insured
legal workers without having to outsource. Some things just cant be done
from India over the phone, so you need the cheap workers local. It just
saves time and gets you to the bottom quicker while boosting your stock
options.

GM bankrupcy wiping out 300 Billion in dept any day now... Good thing
China makes cars ;)

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/