[FoRK] U.S. Undocumented Immigrant Numbers Surge

Luis Villa luis.villa at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 04:48:30 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:33:11 -0500, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> The US has had corruption in various governments and business at various
> times.  Sooner or later, we cleaned house.  It IS possible with the
> right attitude, mythology, and belief in the "right thing" by the
> population.

The US had the help of a massively booming economy to help those who
were put out of work, pervasive education, and a strong Protestant
belief system. I'd guess in most of Latin America the citizenry would
cite the Catholic church as one of the prime source of corruption, so
they don't get the boost there we did.

> For several years it has struck me how Russia seems like it
> is living through a very US gangster-like era, albeit with the neo-KGB
> to fall back on.

Way worse than we went through- no one, to the best of my knowledge,
ever thought US presidents were in the pocket of the mob (with the
exception of JFK, but that was well after the worst of it.)

FWIW, I'd say education is the kicker there- until you see 90%+
literacy rates for men and women across Latin America, you won't see
the bastards kicked out.

Luis