[FoRK] U.S. Undocumented Immigrant Numbers Surge

Mark Day mark_s_day at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 06:33:19 PST 2005

> personally lived
> > through the end of rent control in Massachusetts, and some
> 10 years later it
> > seems unlikely to return.
>
> How was this managed? City by city? Court cases? State law?

By a deft substitution of electoral unit.  Instead of trying to outlaw it in
the cities where rent control was in effect (which had been tried previously
and failed), it was made into a statewide referendum.  Rent control won
handily in the areas that had rent control, and lost massively in areas that
didn't have rent control.

I would assume a similar effort in California would have a similar result.
Has no-one tried to do the same there?

Somewhat like gerrymandering, I think this case winds up being categorized
with other examples of how controlling the scope of the election can be as
important as winning the vote.

--Mark