[FoRK] Yet another Anti-Spam idea

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Mar 22 08:24:27 PST 2005

I don't have time to implement this yet, but it seems relatively
simple.  Maybe it exists somewhere.

I just saw the Slashdot story about IBM sending spam back to the
computer it came from.
I'm not sure of their details, but this seems like a different but
similar idea that should be workable without cooperative changes:

Upon receipt of an email message from a new email address / IP address
combination, send four probe email messages, one to the real From:
address and one to the Reply-To: address, and one to each of those
addresses with a random string appended to the userid.  The original
email is only allowed "in" if the first two sends succeed and the second
two bounce.

You still have to whitelist those annoying customer service email
messages about shipping or transactions that do not have a reply address
that is valid.  That practice was always a bad idea.