[FoRK] Yet another Anti-Spam idea

Zee Roe zero at rawbw.com
Tue Mar 22 08:34:22 PST 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> Upon receipt of an email message from a new email address / IP address
> combination, send four probe email messages, one to the real From:
> address and one to the Reply-To: address, and one to each of those
> addresses with a random string appended to the userid.  The original
> email is only allowed "in" if the first two sends succeed and the second
> two bounce.

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't this automatically invalidate
anyone sending from domains with catch-all addresses? I think it's pretty
common with vanity domains, certainly I do it, for example.  It seems like
just not bouncing the from: and reply-to: addresses would filter out a lot
of the crap I get (some of which is marked as spam anyway).

-s