[FoRK] Debunking the Right Schiavo spin

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Mar 23 18:06:00 PST 2005

Kelley wrote:

> At 05:36 PM 3/23/2005, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> Hey, whatever works!
>
> There are more than a few peer-pressure theists, especially men who
> file into Midwestern churches to keep their wives, who in turn file
> into churches to have a social life.  People, other than I, would be
> shocked at how much peer-pressure theism exists in the US.  Making a
> stand on the issue is not something that most are interested in.  A
> good percentage more are probably "fake it until you make it"
> theists.  The coupling of theism to coupling is memetic genius.
> Therefore, we can blame the scarcity of strong, rational women for the
> apparent scarcity of rational men.
>
> The insidious part is the fact that nearly everyone knows very
> religious people who have worse morals in ways that count than
> non-religious people.  "Ways that count" meaning legal, ethical,
> interpersonal, karma, big picture, pay it forward, etc.  How about a
> part-time preacher who spends a good portion of his government paid
> workday preparing sermons?
>
> sdw
>

> oh. oh. A friend of mine, Deb, and I could give you a rant. I'll
> briefly do so now and elaborate more if'n you're interested.

Sounds like fun.  Bring it on.
I like the content below.  Good to analyze and think about.

A new friend recently described growing up in India.  While her family
was well off, she described growing up like a princess, she and other
children received their real schooling from a missionary school,
Catholic I believe.  They all, as a group, lived a fiction of good
little Catholics and English speech at school and then completely forgot
about it outside of school grounds, living by their alternate
more-native Indian beliefs with their parents.  This is the advertising
model of religious services, obviously with a long and storied history.

It's an interesting argument to make that the moral-media push driven by
the religious "industry" might be in response to the growing
effectiveness of this competitive advertising.  At some point, someone
may have standing to argue that religious authorities have acted in
anti-competitive ways to increase their income.