[FoRK] A new KP investment in eyeglasses (!?)

Ken Meltsner meltsner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 12:19:39 PST 2005

A bit credulous, but interesting.

Why the special lens manufacturing process?  Surely CNC grinding could
be used to contour lens to meet the calculated contour as well?  At GE
many years ago, we could calculate CNC contours for twisted airfoil
shapes -- admittedly a one-time calculation vs. a per-lens effort, but
the contours were even more baroque.

And the really big question: will this replace "invisible" bifocals?
I love mine, but probably need a new set, and I'm already paying a
hefty premium for my glasses, so the iZon glasses might not cost that
much more.

[And if they could get the manufacturers to make reliable frames, I'd
be really impressed -- I've had welds fail, screws fall out, coatings
corrode, etc.  Much more attention to style than durability and
quality.]