[FoRK] good quality digital recorders

Reza B'Far (Voice Genesis) reza at voicegenesis.com
Sat Mar 26 14:06:19 PST 2005

Hi Folks:

I know there are quite a few musicians/enthusiasts on this lists... My wife
is a pianist and she always records her stuff on the (curse words here) MD
players.  Of course, all those who have used MD's know the volitality of
MD's... she often loses work...then I have to sit there and recover the
content of the MD using recovery software.  We've gone through several
different MD recorders... I have concluded that MD's as a technology just
SUCK after studying how they work.

SO, this brings me to the question which is if anyone knows of a consumer
device that can record from a Microphone input.  She has a very good Mic.
I've also found, the hard way, that MIC Input and Line-In are different
worlds.  So, what I'm looking for is something like an IPOD that can record
from a MIC input from a good quality MIC at a reasonably high sampling rate
onto a wave file... and I want a file system like thing not stupid-ass
tracks... I want something that's like an IPOD not like the typical
recording equipment...

Anyone knows of anything?

Thanks in advance for any answers,
Reza