[FoRK] good quality digital recorders

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 22:57:06 PST 2005

I just picked me up an Iriver 899 (1gig). Man on Man oh Manochvitz is
it ever the dealio.

-Uses 1 (one) AA battery. I hang mine from a neck strap.TINY
-A  Linein which can be set to true linein or a preampled MicIn. This
alone made it a must have for me.
-A little built in mic for those times your don't have the external
mic. It sounds not crappy, even ok with you dont have wind blowing
into it.
-Records at up to 329kbs and 44,1Khz
-At 128/44 it does about 17hours
-At the level I uses for quick voice recording (48kbs/32khz) you get
way about 50 hours or more.
-FM receiver built in that you can record, they even added a
Start/End/Station setting in the newest firmware (I love iriver for
its firmware revs) so you can automagicaly get your daily bits of news
even if your not tuned in.
-USB connector
-Very easy to use interface
-Slick packaging
-There are a slew of linux FOSS apps to use it with. I have even
played with modding bashpodder so podcasts and wgeted goodies get
moved over while I snooze, much as I did for the zen
(www.zenpodder.com)

Price, 199

Just tonight I had the chance to record a live show right off the
mixing board (with permission) and it was sweeeeeeetness. I have used
it to record on the road stuff last week with the wife and kid. I have
used it to do a mock interview with a pal to get ready for some real
interviews. I have used it to record off my laptop whereon I had two
sound sources playing, the mic in of the laptop going with me talking,
and the line in bringing in the sounds from my Zen Nomad...all mixed
on the screen and sent out to the Iriver...mobile recording
studio....oh heck yea.

Iriver, before iPlods in both a temporal sense and in excellence.

Tommywhore gives it 10 thumbs up up up.

-tomhiggins