[FoRK] good quality digital recorders

Reza B'Far (Voice Genesis) reza at voicegenesis.com
Mon Mar 28 09:15:09 PST 2005

Hi Tom:

Thanks for the pointer.  I bought a Soundblaster device similar to this
(don't remember the name now... only had it for a couple of days), but
returned it (bought it at a store, knowing I may have to return it and
doubting that returning stuff I buy on-line is feasible or even worth it by
the time I get done returning it).

Anyways, the reason I returned it is because my wife does indeed have a
professional Microphone and it sounded like crap when I plugged it into the
device.  I tried playing around with the settings on the device and it still
sounded like crap.  Then I bought a small amp to put in between the device
and the mic, and that still didn't work.

One of the things that confuses me is that it SEEMS like there is something
that goes along with a MIC input, like a high-pass or band-pass filter that
doesn't go along with a line-in.  The MD seems to act the same way when I
stick the mic into the line-in instead of the mic input.  BUT, when I put it
in the MIC input, it sounds great.

Any ideas?

Thanks,