[FoRK] AJAX: Asynchronous JavaScript + XML

Joe Barrera joe at barrera.org
Tue Mar 29 17:31:12 PST 2005

Jim Whitehead wrote:

 > http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000385.php

Seems like one more instance of proxies.

<http://www-sor.inria.fr/publi/summaries/1986/SEDSPP_icdcs86.html>

Structure and Encapsulation in Distributed Systems: the Proxy Principle

Author: Marc Shapiro
Source: Proceedings 6th International Conference on Distributed
Computing Systems (ICDCS), Cambridge MA (USA), May 1986, pages 198--204.

Abstract

We present a novel view of the structuring of distributed systems, and a
few examples of its utilization in an object-oriented context.

In a distributed system, the structure of a service or subsystem may be
complex, being implemented as a set of communicating server objects;
however, this complexity of structure should not be apparent to the
client. In our proposal, a client must first acquire a local object,
called a proxy, in order to use such a service. The proxy represents the
whole set of servers. The client directs all its communication to the
proxy. The proxy, and all the objects it represents, collectively form
one distributed object, which is not decomposable by the client. Any
higher-level communication protocols are internal to this distributed
object.

Such a view provides a powerful structuring framework for distributed
systems; it can be implemented cheaply without sacrificing much
flexibility. It subsumes many previous proposals, but encourages better
information-hiding and encapsulation.