[FoRK] John Ralston Saul's "The End of Globalism"

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Mar 29 18:39:13 PST 2005

"Finally, the new approach to debt - public versus private, First World
versus Third World - revealed a fatal confusion. Those who preached
Globalisation couldn't tell the difference between ethics and morality.
*Ethics is the measurement of the public good. Morality is the weapon of
religious and social righteousness.* Political and economic ideologies
often decline into religious-style morality towards the end. But
Globalisation had shoved ethics to the side from the beginning and
insisted upon a curious sort of moral righteousness that included
maximum trade, unrestrained self-interest and governments alone
respecting their debts. These notions were curiously paired with
something often called family values, as well as an Old Testament view
of good and evil. "

This looks interesting: "On Equilibrium: The Six Qualities of the New
Humanism".  Has anyone read it?

sdw