AJAX and alternatives, was: Re: [FoRK] AJAX: Asynchronous JavaScript + XML

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Mar 30 15:03:39 PST 2005

On the other hand, I don't think you can do the level of multimedia
graphics and processing that this can:

http://processing.org/

Check out the BitTorrent simulation:
http://aphid.org/btsim/

I just found this and am impressed by it for a couple reasons.
Hopefully they will open source it smoothly.

Among lightweight browser/thin client options, here is what I am
interested in:

AJAX - when I want most compatibility, very lightweight usability, and
can live with Javascript
Flash - for multimedia presentations and some kinds of applications
(including chat probably)
Java applets/Processing/XUL-like - for arbitrary programmable
communication visualization applications, high-security apps
XForms and/or XUL et al XML-based HTML+ - for high-function,
high-security, long-lived maintenance

It is very interesting how the XForms, XUL, XAML, and
HTML+forms+scripting styles are evolving and competing.  The W3C
presentation of XForms at the Plenary in Feb. was very impressive but I
understand that the browser vendors (Mozilla, Opera, et al) are
balking.  MS seems to be preparing for XAML-as-browser-replacement,
which would be great for a Firefox/XUL/Java/OSS solution but scary from
The untrustable Monopolist bad-boy of the IT world.

I'm too distracted by binary XML (we just approved our last doc in the
W3C working group today!!), Semantic Web, Grid+P2P, and my research work
on binary XML and "multiphasic knowledge representation" to get into the
XForms et all fray (yet).

sdw